Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
A very flavorful meat loaf made with chopped veggies, cheese and herbs.
- 2 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 3 slices bread, torn
- 1 small onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and add milk.
- In food processor, add bread, onion and carrot and process until finely chopped.
- Add egg mixture and veggie mixture to ground beef and combine well.
- Add cheese, herbs, ground beef, salt and pepper and mix.
- Shape mixture into a loaf and place in a shallow baking pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes. Combine the topping ingredients; spoon half of the mixture over meat loaf.
- Bake 30 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink, occasionally spooning remaining topping over loaf.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.