Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
I worked in medicine 40 years. Every Holiday a man I worked with would bring these in. I begged for years for the recipe to no avail. When he retired he gave me the recipe on the condition I would continue the tradition. I did. Now I am retired and these are too good to be a secret so I post them here for everyone to enjoy and to continue his tradition on a larger scale.
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) box graham crackers
- 1 1⁄4 cups butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup coconut, flaked
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Line a 9x13 pan with whole graham crackers.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add sugar, egg and milk and mix well.
- Bring to boil, stirring constantly.
- Stir in nuts, coconut and 1 cup crushed graham cracker crumbs.
- Spread evenly over crackers in pan.
- Top this with another layer of whole graham crackers.
- Top with Icing. Chill and cut into squares.
- Mix all icing ingredients together until creamy.
- Spread evenly on top of crackers.
The filling in these reminds me of those Christmas date ball candy thingies, which I love. Easy to put together, and I really liked not having to bake these. They are super-sweet, but the sweetness tones down a tiny bit once these are fully chilled, so I definitely recommend allowing enough time for these to get cold before serving. I cut them pretty small (a little goes a long way), so I probably ended up with more like 36 bars rather than 24. Thanks for posting! Made for PAC Spring 2012
We made these in my high school Latin Club years ago; they were so good. My brother and family ate my first batch so I had to make another for my club..lol. I am so glad I found this recipe! I am going to make these today for my family.