Recipe by Moonrain
My family is full of chocoholics, and my grandmother knew that when she first made this cake.
- 1⁄2 cup soft margarine
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 cup self-rising flour, sifted
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa, sifted
Filling and Topping
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 1⁄2 ounces white chocolate or 3 1⁄2 ounces milk chocolate
- milk chocolate (optional) or white chocolate, melted (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly grease two shallow 7-inch cake pans.
- Place all the ingredients for the cake in a large mixing bowl and beat to form a smooth mixture.
- Divide the mixture between the two pans and level them off.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 325°F for 20 minutes or until it's springy.
- Cool for a few minutes and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make filling beat the confectioners' sugar and butter together in a bowl until light and fluffy.
- Melt the chocolate and beat half into the frosting mixture.
- Use the filling to sandwich the cakes together.
- Spread the remaining melted cooking chocolate over the top of the cake.
- Pipe circles of contrasting melted milk or white chocolate and feather into the chocolate with a toothpick.
- Let it set before serving.