Digitally released by the JFK Presidential Library 2/11/14. I found it on this BBC article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-26160596 It is also posted on the JFC Presidential Library Facebook page 2/11/14: https://www.facebook.com/JFKLibrary It is interesting to see Mary Hemingway's special instructions scribbled in the margins. The original recipe specified Spice Island Mei Yen Powder which is no longer available so I have replaced that with the components of salt, sugar and MSG. These are whopping 8 oz burgers....I might make them smaller. If you do, adjust the cooking time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 little green onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon india relish
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 teaspoon sage (his specified Spice Island)
- 1/2 teaspoon beau monde seasoning (also specified Spice Island or Beau Monde Seasoning/Spice Mix if you can't find that)
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash msg (I consider this optional)
- 1 egg, beaten in a cup with a fork
- 1/3 cup dry wine (red or white)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1Break up the meat with a fork and scatter the garlic, onion and dry seasonings over it, then mix them into the meat with a fork or your fingers.
- 2Let the bowl of meat sit out of the icebox for ten or fifteen minutes while you set the table and make the salad.
- 3Add the relish, capers, everything else including wine and let the meat sit, quietly marinating, for another ten minutes if possible.
- 4Now make your fat, juicy patties with your hands. The patties should be an inch thick, and soft in texture but not runny.
- 5Have the oil in your frying pan hot but not smoking when you drop in the patties and then turn the heat down and fry the burgers about four minutes.
- 6Take the pan off the burner and turn the heat high again.
- 7Flip the burgers over, put the pan back on the hot fire, then after one minute, turn the heat down again and cook another three minutes.
- 8Both sides of the burgers should be crispy brown and the middle pink and juicy.
- 9Time does not include sitting times.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hemingway's Favorite Burger
Serving Size: 1 (487 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 676.3
- Calories from Fat 288
- Total Fat 32.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.9 g
- Cholesterol 240.4 mg
- Sodium 763.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 49.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
beau monde seasoning