Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 mins
Digitally released by the JFK Presidential Library 2/11/14. I found it on this BBC article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-26160596 It is also posted on the JFC Presidential Library Facebook page 2/11/14: https://www.facebook.com/JFKLibrary It is interesting to see Mary Hemingway's special instructions scribbled in the margins. The original recipe specified Spice Island Mei Yen Powder which is no longer available so I have replaced that with the components of salt, sugar and MSG. These are whopping 8 oz burgers....I might make them smaller. If you do, adjust the cooking time.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 little green onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon india relish
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 teaspoon sage (his specified Spice Island)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon beau monde seasoning (also specified Spice Island or Beau Monde Seasoning/Spice Mix if you can't find that)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash msg (I consider this optional)
- 1 egg, beaten in a cup with a fork
- 1⁄3 cup dry wine (red or white)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- Break up the meat with a fork and scatter the garlic, onion and dry seasonings over it, then mix them into the meat with a fork or your fingers.
- Let the bowl of meat sit out of the icebox for ten or fifteen minutes while you set the table and make the salad.
- Add the relish, capers, everything else including wine and let the meat sit, quietly marinating, for another ten minutes if possible.
- Now make your fat, juicy patties with your hands. The patties should be an inch thick, and soft in texture but not runny.
- Have the oil in your frying pan hot but not smoking when you drop in the patties and then turn the heat down and fry the burgers about four minutes.
- Take the pan off the burner and turn the heat high again.
- Flip the burgers over, put the pan back on the hot fire, then after one minute, turn the heat down again and cook another three minutes.
- Both sides of the burgers should be crispy brown and the middle pink and juicy.
- Time does not include sitting times.
lol, I've been making these for many years. I have no idea where I got the recipe, and I've never once seen it anywhere else. They're very good burgers, flavorful and tender. One of my favorites.