Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
This, in a word, is AMAZING! My DS proclaimed, "I think I died and went to heaven!" I made this recipe for my 4th grader who is studying and reporting on the state of Kansas. He needed to make a food item to share with the class. Many thanks to Dee514 for helping me work out the kinks! Prep time includes chill time. NOTE: You can freeze them unbaked, and then bake them fresh and bake as needed **do not thaw first. Baking time may need to be adjusted if frozen. Handy during the holidays.
- 236.59 ml whipping cream
- 236.59 ml butter, softened
- 591.47 ml flour
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and chop into 1/4-inch cubes
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 9.85-14.78 ml cinnamon (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix the whipping cream and butter together until well blended.
- Add the flour. Mix until the dough comes together and can me formed into a ball. Dough should not be too sticky, If it is, add more flour as you mix, 1 teaspoon or a good pinch at a time. DO NOT OVER MIX!
- Divide dough in half. Shape each half into flat ovals. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour.
- Lightly flour your rolling surface and rolling pin.
- Roll each half into a 12x12 square. A lightly dusting of flour as needed to prevent sticking.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut into 9 squares. Each square will be 4x4.
- Place each square on a cookie sheet. Add a spoonful of apples, Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Pick up all 4 corners and bring to the center and twist to form a knot.
- NOTE: ***Freeze at this point and bake later. DO NOT THAW first before baking.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. They will brown slightly on the bottom. Filling will be bubbly and apples tender. * Baking time may need to be adjusted if baking from frozen state.
- Remove from cookie sheet promptly and roll in cinnamon sugar.
- Serve warm or set aside to cool. Best flavor when serve warm.
- A small scoop of vanilla ice cream would put this over the top!