1/1 Photo of Hemetschwenger - Apple Turnovers (Mennonite)
1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Chicagoland Chef du Jour's Note:
This, in a word, is AMAZING! My DS proclaimed, "I think I died and went to heaven!" I made this recipe for my 4th grader who is studying and reporting on the state of Kansas. He needed to make a food item to share with the class. Many thanks to Dee514 for helping me work out the kinks! Prep time includes chill time. NOTE: You can freeze them unbaked, and then bake them fresh and bake as needed **do not thaw first. Baking time may need to be adjusted if frozen. Handy during the holidays.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2Mix the whipping cream and butter together until well blended.
- 3Add the flour. Mix until the dough comes together and can me formed into a ball. Dough should not be too sticky, If it is, add more flour as you mix, 1 teaspoon or a good pinch at a time. DO NOT OVER MIX!
- 4Divide dough in half. Shape each half into flat ovals. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour.
- 5Lightly flour your rolling surface and rolling pin.
- 6Roll each half into a 12x12 square. A lightly dusting of flour as needed to prevent sticking.
- 7Using a pizza cutter, cut into 9 squares. Each square will be 4x4.
- 8Place each square on a cookie sheet. Add a spoonful of apples, Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- 9Pick up all 4 corners and bring to the center and twist to form a knot.
- 10NOTE: ***Freeze at this point and bake later. DO NOT THAW first before baking.
- 11Bake for 25-30 minutes. They will brown slightly on the bottom. Filling will be bubbly and apples tender. * Baking time may need to be adjusted if baking from frozen state.
- 12Remove from cookie sheet promptly and roll in cinnamon sugar.
- 13Serve warm or set aside to cool. Best flavor when serve warm.
- 14A small scoop of vanilla ice cream would put this over the top!
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hemetschwenger - Apple Turnovers (Mennonite)
Serving Size: 1 (73 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 232.9
- Calories from Fat 137
- Total Fat 15.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.5 g
- Cholesterol 45.2 mg
- Sodium 95.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 2.2 g