An oriental sweet which is called as the poor man's complete food. It can be stored anywhere for a very long time without getting rancid etc. In fact the longer it keeps the better it becomes. Very easy to prepare! Excellent with bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a thick bottomed saucepan put the sugar and the water over a slow burner until the sugar dissolves. At this stage it can be stirred but not any more after it boils.
- 2Let it boil until a sugar thermometer shows 140 deg Celsius.
- 3Meanwhile in a heat proof container mix the tahini, almonds and vanilla.
- 4As the sugar mixture reaches the required temperature (140) pour it onto the tahini mixture in a slow steady stream whilst mixing well.
- 5As soon as the mass solidifies transfer it to an airtight container and store when cool.
- 6PS. After storing some oil oozes out but it does not impair its goodness.
Nutritional Facts for Helwa Tat-Tork
Serving Size: 1 (52 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 188.0
- Calories from Fat 93
- Total Fat 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 16.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 16.6 g
- Protein 3.8 g