Recipe by Josef
An oriental sweet which is called as the poor man's complete food. It can be stored anywhere for a very long time without getting rancid etc. In fact the longer it keeps the better it becomes. Very easy to prepare! Excellent with bread.
Top Review by rosslare
Super recipe for Helwa l. Halwa as I know it from the shop shelves. Sweetness and texture right on. Can use other nuts like walnuts and pistachios and set them decoratively on the top. Thank you so much for the best recipe! We have this as a sweet along with espresso.
Directions See How It's Made
- In a thick bottomed saucepan put the sugar and the water over a slow burner until the sugar dissolves. At this stage it can be stirred but not any more after it boils.
- Let it boil until a sugar thermometer shows 140 deg Celsius.
- Meanwhile in a heat proof container mix the tahini, almonds and vanilla.
- As the sugar mixture reaches the required temperature (140) pour it onto the tahini mixture in a slow steady stream whilst mixing well.
- As soon as the mass solidifies transfer it to an airtight container and store when cool.
- PS. After storing some oil oozes out but it does not impair its goodness.