Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
This recipe has been a family favorite for many years. I believe my mother originally found this recipe in a newletter published by Helms Bakery. I usually quadruple this recipe, because as much as everyone loves it, and eats plenty, they love the leftovers even more. I would be in so much trouble if I did not have enough leftovers for at least a couple more meals per person.
- Cut raw bacon into small pieces. Fry until crisp. Remove bacon pieces and set aside. Pour off most of the bacon fat.
- Add onion to the pan and cook slowly, without browning, for 5 minutes.
- Add corn, potatoes, tomatoes including juice, salt, sugar, pepper and water.
- Cook slowly until potatoes are tender.
- Heat evaporated milk, just to the simmering point.
- Remove soup from the heat, and stir in milk and bacon pieces. Serve immediately.
Well, I hope you kids pass this down to there kids, as it was delicious. I love evaporated milk in any thing and this hit the spot. We had my FIL for dinner and he went home with what was left in the pot, I didn't mind as I can and will make it again. The crispy bacon bits on top gave it an extra Mmmmm.Thanks for a keeper. Made for PAC spring 2009