Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is a real showstopper on your Spring buffet table, or any time! I got this recipe from the Southern Living 1988 Annual Recipes book I picked up at a second-hand store for 10 cents. I think it was originally called Christmas Salad. It's not only beautiful, but very tasty, too. Use a smooth rather than decorative mold if you have one, it shows off the berries better, but this is not mandatory. When placed on a platter on lettuce leaves, with pineapple slices and a strawberry fan in the middle of the ring...a showstopper! Cook time is chill time.
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, minced
- 2 (1/4 ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 3 1⁄2 cups pineapple juice, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, thinly sliced
- green leaf lettuce leaf
- pineapple slice (optional)
- strawberry, fan (optional)
- Combine cream cheese and walnuts, stir well, and shape into 1/2-inch balls. Cover and chill.
- In medium saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over pineapple juice, let stand one minute.
- Add remaining pineapple juice, sugar, salt and lemon juice.
- Cook over medium heat until gelatin dissolves, stirring constantly.
- Chill until consistency of unbeaten egg white.
- Now, fold in strawberries, celery and reserved cream cheese balls.
- Spoon into a lightly oiled 5-cup mold. Cover and chill overnight, or until firm.
- Unmold onto a lettuce-lined serving platter. If desired, garnish with pineapple slices and a strawberry fan.