Prep 15 mins
Cook 72 hrs
Don't know if our Hello Deli restaurant was a cousin of the ones in NY or BC, but this slaw was a specialty of the house.
- 2 lbs shredded cabbage
- 2 cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 4 carrots, shredded
- 2 Spanish onions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1⁄3 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Mix the oil, sugar and vinegar well.
- Stir in salt and the vegetables.
- Marinate at least three days in refrigerator, turning frequently.
- "Cookingtime" refers to time needed for marinating.
- No actual cooking time for this recipe.
Paula, what a wonderful salad for a picnic or cookout. We enjoyed this salad a lot. It was easy to put together. I put it in the refrigerator and basicly let it "cook" itself. Day of the party, voilà....a great dish. I really liked it, and will use it again, especially in the hot weather. No worrying about letting it stay out too long. Thanks for posting this one.
This was tasty!
Better known as Health Salad, this is a fantastic salad that is absolutely pefect for cookouts, tailgating or a casual party. With the exception of a small amount of sugar, this is a very healthy salad that will keep them coming back for seconds and even thirds. I add a 1/2 tsp. of oregano as it is made in most of the East Coast Jewish delis. Make this recipe and be prepared to get rave reviews from your friends and family.