Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A longtime favorite of my family. We don't have an outdoor summer gathering without this and Hellmann's Classic Pasta Salad. Can't go wrong with these delicious recipes. FYI: because of the mayo content, we put the bowl of salad into a slightly larger-sized bowl filled halfway with ice to keep the salads cold and fresh.
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch chunks (5 to 6 medium)
- 1 cup Hellmann's mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- In 4-quart saucepot, cover potatoes with water; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain and cool slightly.
- In large bowl, combine Hellmann's Mayonnaise, vinegar, salt, sugar and pepper. Add potatoes, celery, onion and eggs and toss gently.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
This is the same recipe my family has made for as long as I can remember. (I'm 77) Love it! We like to use White Rose potatoes, boiled, cooled, then skinned. Good with skins on too. I sometimes use dill pickle juice for the vinegar. Have never written it down, so great to see it posted.
This recipe is a family favorite! I found it on the back of a jar of Hellmanns. I used it for my son's 1st birthday party ~ He is now 30 years old!! We have used this recipe all these years for every family party! Wouldn't think of using any other, because this is the best!! Make sure you always use Helmanns mayo thought ~ I used the store brand once and it came out runny and didn't taste as good.
Really nice potato salad that is easy and takes little time to make. I used apple cider vinegar and only about 3/4 of a teaspoon of salt for us. Served the potato salad with lazyme's recipe #321719 #321719 and DH was very happy with supper tonight! Thank you aHardDaysNight for sharing your families favorite recipe with us. Made and reviewed for Pick A Chef - Spring 2009.