Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My favourite brand of mayo!
Make and share this HELLMANN'S (COPYCAT) MAYONNAISE recipe from Food.com.
- Whisk the egg yolk by hand for 15 seconds.
- Combine vinegar, water, salt, sugar, and lemon juice in a small bowl or glass measuring cup.
- Stir until salt and sugar are dissolved.
- Add half of this solution to the egg yolk and whisk for another 15 seconds.
- Pour 1 cup of canola oil (or soybean oil) into a plastic squirt bottle.
- This bottle will allow you to dribble the oil into the egg yolk with one hand while whisking with the other.
- Squirt a few drops of oil into the yolk and whisk, and continue to add oil a little bit at a time while whisking non-stop.
- When you have used about half of the oil, your mayonnaise should be very thick.
- Add the remaining vinegar solution.
- Now you can add the remaining oil in a steady stream while whisking until all of the oil has been added.
- Your mayonnaise should be thick and off-white in color.
- Put the mayonnaise into an old mayonnaise jar and seal it with a lid.
- Leave this out on your kitchen counter for 8 to 10 hours so that the vinegar and lemon juice can kill any potential bacteria in the egg yolk.
- Keep up to 2 weeks in your refrigerator.
This worked out great for a subsitution for Hellman's mayo! I was quite impressed with the results, I added in a bit more sugar than called for, and am considering using this on a regular basis, or mixing the real stuff and the homemade for a budget stretcher. I was a bit leary of leaving it on the counter overnight, but I guess the lemon did it's job! thanks for another winner CL! Kitten:)
This recipe was created by Todd Wilbur. It was featured as a Limited Time Only recipe on topsecretrecipes.com
I love love this stuff thank you very much for posting will make again