Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
When I was young, my mom would make double the mashed potatoes and glazed carrots to save them for the shepherds pie dish. My dad loves chopped meat and I believe this came from a book that was entitled 101 ways to cook hamburger. Like my grandmother ,my mom improvised alot over the years and she finally settled on this recipe. You can add your own favorite veggies, use you imagination!!!
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1 small onion
- 1 (10 ounce) can beef gravy
- 5 medium carrots
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄8 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice (optional)
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 3 -5 tablespoons water
- salt and pepper
- preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel and thinly slice carrots.
- In a 2 quart pot, melt margarine and water add brown sugar and (orange juice) optional. stir then add carrots.
- bring to boil, cover and cook until carrots are aldente.(about 7 minutes).
- While carrots are cooking, brown the chopped meat and onions add salt and pepper.
- To browned meat add 1 can of beef gravy, simmer until carrots are done.
- In an oven proof bowl, layer meat on the bottom , next layer carrots then top with mashed potatoes.
- bake in oven about 20 minutes until bubbly and hot.
This is my first selection of recipes from my PAC 2008, adopted babies. This is WONDERFUL! Simply outstanding. I am a fan of cottage pies, shepherd's pies and fishermen's pies. This has got to be the best I have ever had. The carrot preparation part was so tasty, that I shall make my carrot side dishes this way from now on. And I do love cooked carrots! I did throw in a large can of drained mushrooms, just because. The left overs tomorrow ----I can only dream in anticipation. Your recipe looked like it might be good, but it is Great!