Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
The first time I saw this salad at a family gathering I thought "yuck, canned vegetables"! Being polite I tasted it and was pleasantly shocked at how good it was. Believe me if you make this and people try it you will have to give the recipe because everyone will want it. This recipe seems like it takes a long time to make but it is very easy to make and is so worth it.
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans cut green beans
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tiny peas
- 1 (14 ounce) cansliced carrots
- 1 medium onion
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup canola oil or 1 cup olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced green pepper
- 3 -6 tablespoons Miracle Whip
- Open cans of green beans, peas, and carrots and pour vegetables into a large strainer in the sink. Let vegetables drain for at least an hour, shaking strainer every so often to get rid of water.
- When drained, put vegetables into a large bowl that has a lid that seals.
- Slice onion into thin slices and then cut the slices in half or fourths. Put cut onion on vegetables.
- In a small pan, heat to dissolve: sugar, oil and vinegar. Be careful to not breathe in the fumes as this mixture heats. I usually just bring it to a boil, stirring constantly.Marinade should be clear not cloudy. Remove pan from burner and let mixture cool to just warm.
- Pour cooled marinade over vegetables and carefully stir so vegetables don't get mushy. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Next day drain salad in strainer in the sink for at least an hour. Pour salad back in bowl and add diced celery and green pepper. Add 3 tbsp Miracle Whip and gently stir to mix well. If it isn't creamy enough add up to 3 more tbsp Miracle Whip.
- Salad is ready to serve and will keep for up to a week.
This si aan esy recipe. I HATE peas but I put them in this recipe. I followed the recipe exept I used mayo instead of MW and I thougth I had cut green beans but only had french cut so I used them. Next time I'll make with regualr cut. The salad was a little sweet so I'll probably put in scant cup of sugar next time adn I might kick up the vinegar but that is all personal taste. The over all taste is a little sweeter then Long John Silvers cole slaw. I would have been really sweet with Miracle Wip but eh may gave it a little zing. You could probably use plain yogart (maybe make a creamy yogart cheese) or in a pinch sour cream. I'll make this again. EVEN with the peas. Great pot luck dish!