Prep 0 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Helen's Light Fruitcake
- 1⁄2 lb glace pineapple
- 2 lbs sultanas
- 1 lb glace cherries (red & green)
- 1 lb almonds
- 5 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 lb butter
- 2 cups sugar (1 lb)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 10 eggs
- 1 lemon, juice & rind
- 1 orange, juice & rind
- 1 teaspoon rose extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Clean sultanas, slice pineapple thinly, halve cherries.
- Mix and sift flour,.
- baking powder and spice and add half to prepared fruit. In a large bowl, cream butter and gradually beat in sugar.
- Add well beaten eggs and beat well.
- Fold other half of flour mixture into creamed mixture alternately with juices and beat well.
- Add fruit to to creamed mixture. Combine mixture til thoroughly blended.
- Split almonds and add to mixture, saving some whole for top.
- Add flavourings.
- Pour mixture into cake pans which have been lined with 3 thicknesses of newspaper , with top layer of greased wax paper.
- Bake cake at 275°F.
- for approximately 3 hours or til firm and until cake mixture is firm when pressed.
- Cool on cake rack until thoroughly cold.
- Wrap in foil and store in cake tins.