Recipe by BoxO'Wine
Helen is my mother. no matter what i do, i cant get the coleslaw to taste like hers but this recipe comes very close. i think the love she had for us came through her pores when she squeezed the cabbage. cant buy that or duplicate it. thanks mom, i miss you terribly.
Top Review by CountryLady
What a wonderful tribute to your mother!! This is very similar to the one that my own mom makes - but I always guessed at the quantities as she never measures. Next time, I'll use red wine vinegar to make the dressing a tad sweeter. Thanx for posting!
- 1 head cabbage, finely shredded (ABOUT 6 TO 8 CUPS)
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup Hellmann's mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix dressing ingredients until smooth.
- place sliced cabbage in colander, sprinkle with salt and mix well.
- let drain for at least 1/2 hour.
- squeeze cabbage in colander with hands to remove excess water.
- mix onion and carrot into cabbage.
- add dressing, and mix well.
- cover and refrigerate for a few hours to let flavors develop.