Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Helen is my mother. no matter what i do, i cant get the coleslaw to taste like hers but this recipe comes very close. i think the love she had for us came through her pores when she squeezed the cabbage. cant buy that or duplicate it. thanks mom, i miss you terribly.
- Mix dressing ingredients until smooth.
- place sliced cabbage in colander, sprinkle with salt and mix well.
- let drain for at least 1/2 hour.
- squeeze cabbage in colander with hands to remove excess water.
- mix onion and carrot into cabbage.
- add dressing, and mix well.
- cover and refrigerate for a few hours to let flavors develop.
What a wonderful tribute to your mother!! This is very similar to the one that my own mom makes - but I always guessed at the quantities as she never measures. Next time, I'll use red wine vinegar to make the dressing a tad sweeter. Thanx for posting!
This is by far the best cole slaw we have ever had! My husband is pretty picky about his coleslaw. His family is Hungarian, so I decided to give this one a try, and we all loved it! I did add just a touch of paprika to it (can't have anything Hungarian without paprika in it!) We even like the dressing so much, we're going to make a batch for regular salad dressing, too! Thanks for the great recipe!
This was a delicous coleslaw -- I'll be using your mother's recipe exclusively. I had to omit the onions as some guests have an aversion, and I added 2 tsp. of Old Bay Seasoning as I like the celery seed flavoring in my slaws. Thank you for posting, Box O'Wine!