1/2 Photos of Helen's High-Protein Low-Carb Pancakes
My mom invented this recipe a few years ago for our low carb lifestyle. It makes a nice break from eggs. We have often served these pancakes to guests not on a diet and they enjoy them too. It's a great way to get your omega-3's from flax. The recipe is very flexible, and you don't even need to measure the ingredients--just eyeball the proportions, or vary it to suit yourself after you've gotten the idea. I have used sour cream or cottage cheese instead of ricotta, and it works just as well (plain yogurt would be good, too). Cottage cheese makes a very tender, flavorful pancake, but omit the salt because cottage cheese is quite salty compared to the others.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix all ingredients together and stir well. (Optional: You may also add one packet of artificial sweetener if you are accustomed to recipes that call for sugar.).
- 2Spoon onto preheated, oiled griddle and cook as usual.
- 3Serve with butter and low-carb syrup, or sour cream and berries.
- 4Note: If you want the batter a little thinner, stir in water, 1 tablespoon at a time. Batter will thicken as it sits, so if you refrigerate it till the next day, you will probably need to thin it. If the batter is too thin, stir in a little more flax.
- 5Also note: Flax seed should always be fresh ground (keep a dedicated coffee grinder for this purpose) or stored in the freezer. You may use either regular (brown) flax, or golden flax, which produces a lighter texture and color. You can often get it in bulk bins at your health food store for a great price.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Helen's High-Protein Low-Carb Pancakes
Serving Size: 1 (161 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 327.5
- Calories from Fat 215
- Total Fat 23.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 310.3 mg
- Sodium 927.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 20.1 g