Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Simple and easy enchilada recipe that I got from my Grandmother.
Make and share this Helen's Fabulous Enchiladas recipe from Food.com.
- 30 corn tortillas
- 16 ounces enchilada sauce (use 2 cans, I use El Paso red sauce and it's great!)
- 2 bunches green onions (scallions)
- 2 (3 7/8 ounce) cansof sliced black olives
- 24 ounces Mexican blend cheese, I buy mine at Costco (shredded)
- 3 cups shredded chicken, I use white meat, this is option if you want to make just cheese enchiladas
- This is a simple, layered recipe:.
- Add enough enchilada sauce to coat the bottom of cooking container with enchilada sauce. (You can make this using small pie tins, casserole dishes, or any other similar bakeware.).
- Place tortillas on top of sauce - one layer, and you can split them up to make sure you have a full layer.
- Sprinkle on a scattering of the scallions.
- Sprinkle on a scattering of black olives.
- Scatter chicken around layer - amount to your taste.
- Sprinkle on a healthy layer of cheese.
- Scoop enchilada sauce onto layer, enough to thoroughly coat the layer.
- Continue in this fashion until you reach the top layer. On the very top layer, I only use the sauce and cheese, and top with a line of scallions and black olives in a line down the center for color.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and cook for 30 minutes, or until cheese is fully melted.
- You can also prepare this in a crock pot. I did this for the first time this week and cooked on high for 2 hours - it came out great! These are not traditional rolled enchiladas - the layering is identical to lasagna, but the flavor is great.