Recipe by glitter
This is so easy! The kids will thank you for it. I haven't met one yet that has turned this dish away. This is a family favorite amongst everyone. Enjoy!
Top Review by Ceezie
Love, love, love these!! What a great way to spice up string beans. I have made these several times now and always seem to forget the sour cream - still great. One of these days I will add the sour cream.
- 1 lb fresh string beans or 1 lb frozen string bean, cut approx 1 inch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 medium potatoes, cubed
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- enough flour, to make a blond roux
- add salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a pan put your string beans and potatoes.
- Pour enough water to go up about 1/2 way.
- Add salt.
- And bring to a boil.
- Cook until potatoes and beans are tender.
- Drain water into a large measuring cup.
- Take a small iron skillet, melt butter, add enough flour to make a roux to thicken the beans with.
- When the roux is a good golden color add the garlic and saute but do not brown the garlic.
- Add some of the bean/potato liquid to the roux and stir constently until you get the consistency of sauce you would like for your beans.
- Before you add the sauce, use your wooden spoon.
- With the back of the spoon mash a few of the potatoes so they will blend with the sauce, but leave others whole.
- Mix everything together and cook just a few moments until the beans and potatoes have taken on a little of the flavor of the sauce.
- Taste to make sure there is enough salt.
- If not this is the time to add it.
- Last but not least just before serving stir in 1 Tblsp. sour cream.