This is so easy! The kids will thank you for it. I haven't met one yet that has turned this dish away. This is a family favorite amongst everyone. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a pan put your string beans and potatoes.
- 2Pour enough water to go up about 1/2 way.
- 3Add salt.
- 5And bring to a boil.
- 6Cook until potatoes and beans are tender.
- 7Drain water into a large measuring cup.
- 8Take a small iron skillet, melt butter, add enough flour to make a roux to thicken the beans with.
- 9When the roux is a good golden color add the garlic and saute but do not brown the garlic.
- 10Add some of the bean/potato liquid to the roux and stir constently until you get the consistency of sauce you would like for your beans.
- 11Before you add the sauce, use your wooden spoon.
- 12With the back of the spoon mash a few of the potatoes so they will blend with the sauce, but leave others whole.
- 13Mix everything together and cook just a few moments until the beans and potatoes have taken on a little of the flavor of the sauce.
- 14Taste to make sure there is enough salt.
- 15If not this is the time to add it.
- 16Last but not least just before serving stir in 1 Tblsp. sour cream.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Helen's Creamy Garlic String / Green Beans
Serving Size: 1 (152 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 170.3
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 345.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 4.3 g