Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
A favorite family recipe and one that is requested often.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 (9 inch) pie shells
- Combine sugar, corn starch and salt, gradually stir in milk and cook over medium heat as this burns easily until it boils and thickens. Remove from heat and stir in a small amount of egg at a time and return to heat for about 2 minutes. Then remove from heat and add butter, vanilla and coconut.
- Let cool! Pour into baked pie shell and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. You can put meringue on if you like and baked until peaks are brown. Or you can just sprinkle coconut flakes on top and brown. This is what Helen Bobe did as most of us didn’t like meringue!
- Banana Cream Pie: The best thing about this recipe is that you can also make banana cream pie by slicing bananas over pie crust and pour sauce less coconut over bananas and bake!
- Butterscotch Pie: Helen Bobe made this recipe for William Edward Bobe her favorite son because he didn’t like coconut pie! Omit coconut, use 1 cup of brown sugar and add 1 Tablespoon of additional butter.
- Chocolate Pie: Increase sugar to 1 cup, add 4 Tablespoons of cocoa to the sugar and flour before adding milk!
Taste is excellent but it was very runny. Think cornstarch amount needs increasing. Intrigued b/c you make the custard plus you bake it-not typical. I did temper some of the custard into yolks before adding yolks to custard. Made for Spring PAC 2012.