Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
There are lots of chocolate chip oatmeal cookie recipes out there, but this is the one I use, and none of the others had quite the same proportions of ingredients. I got this from my mom (Helen). They're equally good with raisins instead of chips, and I love walnut pieces added (but my son doesn't, so I usually skip those). Cooking time is for 5 successive cookie sheet's worth of baking/resting/removal.
- 1 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 12 ounces chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350° Cream together margarine and both sugars.
- Blend in eggs and vanilla.
- Add flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; blend thoroughly.
- Stir in oats and chocolate chips.
- (I use my mixer for this part too!) Drop by teaspoonfuls on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 7 minutes.
- Leave cookies on sheet to"rest" 2 minutes, then remove to cooling area.
- (I remove them to brown paper to absorb a little of the grease-- I just use the inside of a grocery bag, cut and flattened out.) (Cookie sheet should be cool when putting the dough on. Since I only have one sheet, I rinse the sheet w/ cold water and dry each time I take some cookies off.).
Very good. I however did add in some cinnamon and used butter instead of the margarine and it turned out fine! Also I prefer more vanilla so I added in another teaspoon and a little almond extract it was great. Thanks for your recipe just the right balance of brown and white sugar!