Prep 45 mins
Cook 25 mins
My sis Helen gave me this recipe many (many, many)years ago and it has never failed to please. If you use fresh ingredients then prep time is longer then cook time but it's worth it.. I've done it both ways and it was delicious either way.
- 1 dozen littleneck clams, in the shell
- 566.99 g raw shrimp
- 453.59 g sea scallops or 453.59 g bay scallop
- 453.59 g halibut
- 354.88 ml chopped green onions
- 5 clove garlic, crushed
- 59.14 ml olive oil (salad oil can be used)
- 4 tomatoes, diced (peeled, fresh or canned)
- 14.79 ml salt
- 7.39 ml fennel seeds
- 4.92 ml pepper
- 4.92 ml grated orange rind
- 2.46-4.92 ml saffron thread
- 453.59 g clam juice
- 236.59 ml water
- Scrub clams well and drain. Rinse shrimp under cold running water. Remove shells, devein (with small knife slit alon back and lift out vein) Rinse and drain.
- Rinse scallops and drain.
- Rinse halibut and drain. Cut halibut in two inch pieces.
- Heat oil in 4 quart pot or dutch oven. Saute onions and garlic for 5 minutes or until onion is golden. Add tomatoes, salt fennel seed, pepper, orange rind, and saffron. Stir in clam juice and water. Bring to boil.
- Add clams, boil 2 minutes or until clams open. Reduce heat.
- Add shrimp, scallops, and halibut making sure liquid covers all.
- Cover pot and cook over medium-low heat 10-12 minutes or until halibut flakes when tested with a fork.
- NOTE: Clams are also available in the shell packed in cans or shucked and canned whole....You may use 1 pound bag frozen shelled deveined raw shrimp, 1 pound bag frozen scallops and 1 pound frozen halibut in place of fresh
This was amazing! My husband and guests just RAVED about this dish. I, cook and critical me, thought it was outstanding, too!! Very easy to make. Few ingredients, wonderful flavor and textures. The only variation was that we added just a splash of sherry to the broth. My husband is begging me to make it, again, this week!
This was really great!! My DSF had been talking about Bouillabaisse for weeks so I came here looking for a recipe and chose this one. I made if for him for Father's Day and he was VERY HAPPY!! Thanks CoolMonday!