Recipe by Your Gourmet Girlfriend
I've been making spatzle since I met my husband 10 years ago. After many tries I came up with this recipe. It's best to use a spatzle press (found at German markets) but you can use a colander. It's a pretty heavy side dish or you can make it a meal and serve it with a salad. All our German relatives and friends love it. I hope you will too!
- 5 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 8 ounces havarti cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- For the spatzle, mix eggs, water, salt and nutmeg well. While mixing slowly add flour until it is mixed and smooth.
- Using a spatzle press or colander press small batches of dough into boiling water when it floats to top mix it once and continue to boil about 5 minutes(or once it floats,keep in very hot but not simmering water in separate pot, while cooking the rest). Remove it from water with long tongs and put it in casserole. Cook the rest of the dough adding to the casserole or hot water. Use butter to keep them from sticking together.
- Now for the casserole, Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut bacon into small strips and saute with onion, add garlic for the last few minutes.
- Drain off fat.
- In big mixing bowl add cooled spatzle, bacon mixture, shredded Havarti add salt and pepper to your taste.
- Spray 9x13 casserole with cooking spray and pour spatzle mixture in it.
- Cook about 30 minutes Just until it begins to brown.