Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Grandma Helen's recipe from family collection. This is one my favorites and a must at the holidays. This recipe takes 24-hours to set-up as reflected in the title but not in the cooking/ prep time.
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple, chunks
- 0.5 (10 ounce) bag marshmallows
- 30 red grapes
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup walnuts
- Drain pineapple juice and reserve. Set aside. Cut 1/2 the bag of marshmallows into fourths and set aside. (Note, you will not use the other half of the marshmallows). Cut the grapes into halves or fourths, depending on your personal preference and size of the grapes.
- Mix marshmallows, pineapple chunks, and red grapes. Set in refrigerator.
- Make a mayonnaise using: 1 beaten egg, sugar, flour and reserved pineapple juice. Bring to a boil on the stove or in a glass container in the microwave. Stir constantly as mixture burns easily. Cool mixture. Once cool, pour mayonnaise over pineapple-grape-marshmallow mixture in fridge. Cover and let set overnight.
- In the morning, beat heavy whipping cream until whipped cream forms. Meanwhile, lightly toast walnuts and then cool. Fold whipped cream and cooled, toasted walnuts into pineapple mixture and let set in refrigerator another 2-4 hours.