1/1 Photo of Helene's Chicken Binakol
BINAKOL is a Filipino warm chicken soup with coconut meat, but my version is using pure young coconut juice as soup instead of mixing it with rice wash water. I also added fresh oyster mushrooms.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 25 g gingerroot, chopped then squashed
- 4 pieces chicken legs, cut into chunks
- 3 pieces whole young fresh coconut (juice & meat)
- 200 g fresh oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 7 pieces peppercorns
- 1 dash salt
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (patis)
- 1 bunch fresh spinach
- 1Heat canola oil.
- 2Sauté garlic, onion and ginger. (Be careful not to burn 'em, or you will have a burnt flavour soup).
- 3Toss in all the chicken pieces then pour a tablespoon of fish sauce.
- 4Sauté until the chicken meat releases its own juice without adding water. stir often.
- 5Chop open the top shell of the three young coconut and pour all the fresh coconut juice into the chicken pot. Let boil for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- 6Scrape the young coconut meat and mix it with the chicken.
- 7Drop about 7 pieces of peppercorns.
- 8Simmer for another 10 minutes.
- 9Put the sliced fresh oyster mushrooms into the simmering soup.
- 10Let boil for another 3 minutes.
- 11Add in the spinach leaves, and continue to simmer for another minute.
- 12Season with salt to taste.
- 13NOTES : Do not add water into the soup.
- 14Use only fresh young coconut juice as soup.
- 15Chicken binakol MUST be served warm!
- 16Fancy using the coconut shells as Chicken Binakol's serving bowls.
- 17Garnish with parsley or top the soup with chopped fresh red chilies if you prefer the soup with a bit of spicy bite.
- 18Slurp it good!
Browse Our Top Asian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Helene's Chicken Binakol
Serving Size: 1 (119 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 89.4
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 464.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 4.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: