Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a recipe given to me by my mom, Helene d'Esterhazy. She included it in a Cookbook she created for me.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Slice off the bottom and top of the onion, but do not peel.
- Place in an oiled baking pan and brush them with oil.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Cover with parchment paper and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the paper and sprinkle each onion with balsamic vinegar.
- Return to the oven for another 30 minutes.
- Remove the outer peel of the onion and serve hot.
Maybe ours weren't done well enough - people below are referring to the onions as 'caramelized' and ours weren't even close to being caramelized. The balsamic vinegar just rolled off of them and cooked onto the pan. We found them to be bland, as a result.
*Made for Australia N/Z Swap #42* Had some lovely vidalias, and this was quick and tasty ! The balsamic gives just a tad of sweetness, and I was sorry I had only prepared 2 ! Thanks for posting, ChefTraceyMae
I made these for company tonight and they were a big hit. wonderful flavour and nicely carmelized. Thanks so much - this is easy to make and tastes great.