Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is an authentic French Canadian soup. Helen Gougeon is a journalist and cookbook author.
Make and share this Helen Gougeon's Pea Soup recipe from Food.com.
- Wash the peas, removing any that are wrinkled. Soak overnight in water to cover. Drain.
- In a large pot, melt the butter. Saute the onion until softened slightly, about 2 minutes.
- Add the peas, salt, salt pork, water and savoryBring to the boil, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, or until the salt pork is tender.
- Remove the pork. (Chop up the salt pork and put it back into the soup, or slice it thickly and serve it as a main course with warm bread and pickles.)
- Continue to cook the soup, covered, until the peas are tender, about 30 minutes longer.
- Remove 2 cups (500 mL) peas from the soup and press though a sieve or puree. Stir back into the soup. (This gives a richer, less watery texture.)
- Taste for seasoning, adding salt and pepper as needed.
Fabulous!!! This is very similar to the way my mom has always made it, but I've never tried it with the savory before!!! I will NEVER make split pea soup without again!!! Thank you so much!! Even one of my picky 2-yr old twins LOVED it!!
Could not find yellow beans in my small town so i sub with green split peas. No need to soak. Taste wonderfull just like my French Canadian mother use to make1