Helawat Al Jazr - Iraqi Sweet Carrots
- Gently bring to a simmer the carrots with the sugar, milk, cardamom, and lemon peel for about 15 minutes, until the carrots are tender.
- Pour into a sieve, pressing firmly on the carrots to remove all the liquid. Reserve the liquid.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and stir in the flour. Add the carrots, stirring to coat with the flour mixture, and toss for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Pour the cooking liquid over the carrots, mix well, and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove cardamom pods and pour into individual serving dishes and garnish with nuts and raisins.