Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
A taste of Spain on the cold side. Freeze time is however long your machine takes.
Make and share this Helado De Canela (Spanish Cinnamon Ice Cream) recipe from Food.com.
- CINNAMON MILK/CREAM:
- Combine the milk, cream, vanilla bean (pod and seeds), sugar and cinnamon (stick and ground) in a large, heavy non-corrosive saucepan (preferably enameled cast iron).
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently, then simmer, covered, over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the fire.
- Beat the egg yolks until runny.
- Slowly whisk in 1 cup of the hot milk mixture, then whisk the yolk mixture into the milk remaining in the saucepan.
- Return the pan to medium-low heat and cook, stirring almost constantly, until the custards has thickened enough to coat a wooden spoon (it should be 185-190 degrees), 7 to 10 minutes.
- Do not let the mixture come near a boil or the egg yolks will curdle. Immediately strain through a fine-mesh sieve, then stir in the vanilla and cinnamon schnapps and cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. If there is time, cover and chill before freezing.
- ICE CREAM:.
- Scrape the custard into the canister of your ice cream freezer and freeze according to the manufacturer's directions. For a firmer ice cream, "ripen" for several hours by placing in your freezer.