Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
I saw this being made and it looks delicious.
Make and share this Heirloom Tomato Tarts recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups butter
- 3 tablespoons stone ground dijon mustard
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese, aged, grated
- 2 cups caramelized onion
- 4 large heirloom tomatoes, sliced and cut into wedges
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 1 egg, beaten
- Make pastry and chill for about 30 minutes.
- Prepare caramelized onions by slicing thin and frying in 2 - 3 T olive oil on medium to medium low until almost black. Should not be too oily.
- While onions are cooking, bring out pastry and cut into six inch circles.
- To assemble the tarts spread the center of the pastry circles to taste with mustard, top with a couple tablespoons of grated cheese, then top that with onions to taste and the add the tomato wedges, about 4 wedges per tart.
- Pull pastry edges over tomatoes and pinch to form rustic tart.
- Top each tart with a bit of the basil and fresh ground pepper and kosher salt.
- Brush pastry with egg wash and bake 375 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes. Cool.
- Can be served Room temperature.