Prep 1 hr
Cook 35 mins
If you don't happen to grow your own heirloom tomatoes, they are often sold at Farmer's Markets and some specialty markets such as Whole Foods. Good quality regular tomatoes can be substituted. From Gourmet magazine. Note: You will need a 9-inch tart pan with a removable rim.
Black Pepper Parmesan Pastry
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄8 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 -4 tablespoons ice water
- 3⁄4 lb fresh mozzarella cheese, very thinly sliced (not unsalted)
- 1⁄2 cup pesto sauce
- 2 lbs mixed heirloom tomatoes, sliced 3/4 inch thick
- To Make Pastry: Blend together flour, butter, shortening, parmesan, pepper and salt in a bowl with your fingers or pastry blender (or pulse in a food processor) until mixture resembles coarse meal with some roughly pea-size lumps. Drizzle 2 tablespoons ice water over and gently stir with a fork (or pulse in food processor) until incorporated.
- Gently squeeze a small handful of dough: If it doesn't hold together without falling apart, add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring (or pulsing) after each addition until incorporated, continuing to test. (Do not overwork dough, or it will become tough). Turn out dough onto a work surface, and divide into 2 portions. With heel of your hand, smear each portion once in a forward motion to help distribute fat. Gather both portions of dough into 1 ball, then pat into a disk. Chill, wrapped in plastic wrap, until firm, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch found and fit into a 9-inch round tart pan with a removable rim. Roll rolling pin over top of pan to trim dough flush with rim. Lightly prick tart shell all over with a fork. Line shell with foil and fill with pie weights or rice. Bake in middle of oven 20 minutes. Carefully remove foil and weights and bake until golden, about 15 minutes more. Cool in pan on a rack.
- Fill tart shell: Remove side of pan and slide shell onto a platter. Arrange one third of mozzarella in bottom of shell and drizzle with one third of pesto. Arrange one third of tomato slices, overlapping, on top of cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Repeat layering twice.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Note: Tart shell can be made 1 day ahead and kept, covered, at room temperature.