4 hrs 10 mins
From Cooking Light August 2008. Yellow-red Mr. Stripey tomatoes give this ice a light hue. Use red or purple tomatoes if you want a darker granita. Mixing purple basil with deep-green Italian basil yields a nuanced flavor and a lovely garnish. Cooking time is freezing time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 ounces heirloom tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- 1To prepare granita, place vinegar, oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and seeded peeled tomato in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Place tomato mixture in an 8-inch square baking dish; cover and freeze until firm, stirring twice during first 2 hours. Remove mixture from freezer; scrape entire mixture with a fork until fluffy.
- 2To prepare salad, arrange tomato slices on a platter. Sprinkle with pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Top with granita. Sprinkle with basil.
- 3Serving size = 3 tomato slices and 2 tablespoons granita.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Heirloom Tomato Salad With Tomato Granita
Serving Size: 1 (56 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 23.5
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 196.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 0.4 g