Recipe by JuliasKitchen
Multi-variety heirloom tomato salad with fresh thyme, goat cheese, and stone ground mustard vinaigrette.
Top Review by *Parsley*
Fabulous in so many ways! It's beautiful, tasty and easy to make. I used red and yellow heirloom tomatoes and purple and orange cherry tomatoes. The dressing was yummy (I made it 5 hours ahead of time). I only used 1/4 cup of olive oil and still had plenty of extra dressing. The thyme was very nice, but I think this would would work with parctically any herb you wanted. Cilantro, parsley, tarragon, rosemary... etc. Thanx for an awesome tomato salad!
- 2 lbs heirloom tomatoes, of various colors and sizes
- 1⁄4 cup fresh goat cheese
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons stone ground mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon honey
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine vinegar (you can also use red wine vinegar as a substitute for sherry vinegar)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Start with the vinaigrette to give the flavors time to blend. In a small bowl, whisk together the shallots, garlic, both mustards, honey, and vinegar.
- Once the ingredients are fully combined, slowly pour in the olive oil while continuously mixing the vinaigrette to emulsify.
- Set aside the vinaigrette. Tip: You can store the vinaigrette in the refrigerator for up to 1 week; you won’t need to use all of it for the recipe.
- Slice the larger heirloom tomatoes and quarter or chop the remaining tomatoes to create various sizes and textures on the plate. Arrange the tomatoes on a platter. Tip: Never keep tomatoes in the refrigerator. Doing so will take away flavor and aroma from the tomato, and leave you with an inferior product. Instead, store tomatoes at room temperature.
- Hand crumble the goat cheese and dot the tomatoes.
- Strip the thyme leaves from the stems and sprinkle liberally over the platter.
- Spoon a small amount of the vinaigrette over the platter and serve.