Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Top Chef Season 3, takes a lot of time, but is well worth it!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1 cup white wine
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced heirloom tomatoes (peeled)
- 3⁄4 cup chopped asparagus
- 1⁄4 cup diced leek
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Heat shallow saucepot over medium heat.
- Melt 2 Tb of butter in pot.
- Toast Arborio rice for two to three minutes.
- Re-glaze with white wine.
- Reduce wine until it's completely gone/.
- Add chicken stock, two cups at a time, waiting until stock is totally absorbed before adding the next two cups.
- After last two cups of stock are addeds, add cream and cheese and continue to cook until mixture begins to thicken.
- Be sure you are stitting often with spatula to avoid sticking.
- When mixture is thick, add tomatoes, asparagus, leeks, basil, tarragon, and pepper.
- If risotto seems to thickened, thin out with a little more stock.
- Cook for one to two more minutes, making sure not to break up the tomatoes.
- Finish with last tablespoon of butter.
I saw this recipe on Food Network, then again here and decided it was worth a try and boy was it! Is a very involved recipe but SO worth it. I love risotto and this was simply amazing! I didn't use as much chicken stock as called for, didn't seem to be needed.