Recipe by Mrs Goodall
This is a 5 minute "recipe". It's so simple it's silly. We came up with the idea when planning the food for my wedding last summer. We did all the cooking for 100 ourselves and really had no way to use my stove on the big day. Everything we served, except the salmon on the outdoor bbq, was a cold dish. The challenge we had was coming up with a vegetable "side" dish, that wasn't a salad to go with the salmon. This was the perfect answer. It was a huge hit. I think the key was using fabulous heirloom tomatoes, if you can't get heirlooms, use the best tastiest tomatoes you can. Using "buffalo mozzarella" is great if you have it. This recipe is just for 2 servings...it's obviously easy to adjust! You do need a knife and fork for this. Enjoy!!
- 1 large heirloom tomato
- 2 pieces mozzarella cheese, round, cut 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick
- 4 basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, drizzled to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, drizzled to taste
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the tomato in half. If tomato will not sit flat, take a small thin slice off of the bottom.
- Place 1 piece of mozzarella on top of each tomato half.
- Chiffonade the basil into thin strips and place 1/2 the basil on top of the mozzarella.
- Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic (no need to pre-mix the two together) over the tomato/mozzarella/basil.
- Serve with salt to taste (we let guests add their own).