1/1 Photo of Heirloom Tomato, Mozzarella and Basil Side Dish
Mrs Goodall's Note:
This is a 5 minute "recipe". It's so simple it's silly. We came up with the idea when planning the food for my wedding last summer. We did all the cooking for 100 ourselves and really had no way to use my stove on the big day. Everything we served, except the salmon on the outdoor bbq, was a cold dish. The challenge we had was coming up with a vegetable "side" dish, that wasn't a salad to go with the salmon. This was the perfect answer. It was a huge hit. I think the key was using fabulous heirloom tomatoes, if you can't get heirlooms, use the best tastiest tomatoes you can. Using "buffalo mozzarella" is great if you have it. This recipe is just for 2 servings...it's obviously easy to adjust! You do need a knife and fork for this. Enjoy!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut the tomato in half. If tomato will not sit flat, take a small thin slice off of the bottom.
- 2Place 1 piece of mozzarella on top of each tomato half.
- 3Chiffonade the basil into thin strips and place 1/2 the basil on top of the mozzarella.
- 4Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic (no need to pre-mix the two together) over the tomato/mozzarella/basil.
- 5Serve with salt to taste (we let guests add their own).
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Heirloom Tomato, Mozzarella and Basil Side Dish
Serving Size: 1 (125 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 137.0
- Calories from Fat 123
- Total Fat 13.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 5.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 0.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: