Recipe by Lainey39
If you don't have heirloom tomatoes, use red and yellow tomatoes. Recipe is from Woman's Day.
- 1 garlic clove, cut in half
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large vidalia onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 4 lbs mixed heirloom tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup pecorino romano cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- You'll need a shallow 2- to 2 1/2-quart baking or gratin dish.
- Vigorously rub inside of dish with garlic, discard garlic.
- Brush dish with 1 T oil to coat.
- Heat 1 1/2 T oil in large skillet over medium low heat.
- Add onion and cook 15 minutes, stirring often, just until translucent and tender, but not browned.
- Remove from heat, stir in orange zest and juice, honey and 1 1/2 t thyme.
- Scatter half over bottom of prepared dish; top with half of the tomatoes and season with half the salt and pepper.
- Top with remaining onion mixture, tomatoes, salt and pepper, overlapping tomato slices to fit.
- Mix bread crumbs, cheese and remaining 1/2 T oil and 1 1/2 t thyme until crumbs are evenly moistened.
- Sprinkle over tomatoes.
- Bake 20-24 minutes until crumbs are golden and juices bubble.
- Serve hot or warm.