Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This simple heirloom tomato gratin makes a lovely dish. Use red tomatoes and yellow tomatoes if you don't have heirloom tomatoes. The recipe comes from the Family Circle Magazine.
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place tomato slices on paper towels; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and let stand for 15 minutes,pat dry with paper towels.
- Coat a 2-quart oval baking dish with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil; sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the bread crumbs over the bottom of baking dish.
- Place 1/2 the tomato slices in prepared baking dish(on top of the bread crumb), overlapping if necessary; season with 1/8 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the black pepper.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of the olive oil, 1 tablespoon of the oregano, and 1 teaspoon of the thyme over the top; TUCK in the garlic and sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons bread crumbs over the top.
- Place the remaining tomato slices in the dish and season with remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; sprinkle remaining olive oil, oregano and thyme over the tomatoes.
- Bake in 450 degree oven for 30 minutes; scatter Parmesan cheese on top; bake an additional 10 minutes; remove gratin from oven and let stand for 10 minutes before serving, enjoy.
My kind of dish! But you already knew that, right, Barb? Used red and yellow tomatoes - had no heirlooms. Only change I made was to use basil instead of oregano because I'm not crazy about oregano. Excellent used as a side dish with chicken, but I could make a meal out of just this alone. Thanks once again for a wonderful recipe. Keep posting, Barb.