Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
The rye bread lends a different flavor to these simple burgers. Note: time includes 30 minutes cheese is resting
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled & at room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons light margarine, softened & room temperature
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 lb lean ground beef or 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 2 heirloom tomatoes, sliced thick
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 8 slices dark rye bread (best from bakery or deli)
- fresh ground black pepper
- Crumble feta in a bowl and pour milk over it. Let sit out for 30 minutes.
- Place tomato slices in single later on plate, and sprinkle with pepper & basil.
- Drain milk from feta. Beat margarine into cheese.
- Mash garlic to form paste; beat into cheese mixture.
- Continue beating to desired smoothness.
- Preheat grill.
- Shape meat into 4 patties (try to match shape of bread slices.
- Grill to desired doneness.
- Spread feta on bread slices and add burgers. Top with tomato slices and any desired condiments, & serve.