Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Everyone used to say my great grandma's sugar cookies were the best ever, but then my mom mixed her recipe with her own. These are seriously the best. My friend Angelo even got in trouble with his girlfriend for saying I make the best sugar cookies.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated unbleached cane sugar
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- Mix butter, salt and sugars.
- Beat in egg, milk, and vanilla.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Drop by rounded spoonfuls on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Butter the bottom of a 12 ounce glass, dip in sugar and flatten cookies. If desired, sprinkle cookies with nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, colored sugar, or sprinkles.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are just golden-brown.
I'm one of those odd creatures who does not like sugary stuff (probably a good thing, right?) but...I have a little "goodie exchange" going with my sweet 11-year-old neighbor, and we're always trying to "out-cookie" each other. These got BIG applause! PUtting it in my file for Christmas baking!