Recipe by Olha
This spice cake has always been baked in a cast iron skillet for three generations in one Ohio family.
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup regular margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk, sour*
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- sifted confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves; set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugar in mixing bowl until light and fluffy, using electric mixer at medium speed. Beat in egg.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with sour milk to creamed mixture, beating well after each addition, using electric mixer at low speed. Stir in walnuts and raisins. Pour batter into greased 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan.
- Bake in 350°F oven 40 minutes, or until cake tester or wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Sprinkle with sifted confectioners sugar. Makes 16 servings.
- *NOTE: To sour milk, place 1 tablespoons vinegar in measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1 cup.
- Farm’s Journal Home Baking Book.