Recipe by Potagekempcc
Pumpkin Bisque with Maple Syrup has a light sweet fusion. Alaskan Sea Scallops with Cajuin Seasoning add a spicy flavor to the Bisque.
Top Review by Rodney B.
Loved it! As with any recipe of this complexity, there are inevitable deviations. We didn't weigh the pumpkin, we just used the whole thing; it was small. We used bay scallops instead of sea scallops, and added 1/2 lb of crab meat. We didn't have truffle oil, so we minced 2 crimini mushrooms almost to dust and added them to the vegetables to saute, then substituted Morgenster EVOO on the seafood. No pumpkin pie spice either, so I used a pinch of ground ginger, a pinch of ground cardamom, and I ground up an 1/8 tsp of cinnamon stick with the mortar and pestle. 3 bay leaves (recipe doesn't say how many). At the end, I adjusted the salt using fish sauce, to add a little umami. Overall, the sum total was masterful, zesty, and well-balanced. I can't imagine that one way or the other would have changed the result very much. We served 6 bowls of it, and still had about 3-4 left over, so I would say the number of servings is more like 8-10, rather than 4. Prep time is fairly accurate. Do the pumpkin a day ahead, you'll be glad you did, but the total time then will be somewhat longer.
- 3 lbs fresh pumpkin (Halved & Seeded)
- 4 tablespoons dark amber maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 cup maui onion (Chopped)
- 1 cup carrot (Chopped)
- 2 fresh garlic cloves (Chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup white wine (Beranger Chardonnay)
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups heavy cream (Tempered)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground mace
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 2 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 1 lb fresh sea scallop (Alaskan, Rinsed & Pat Dry)
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 cup parsley (Chopped)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-Heat oven to 450°F and place oven rack in middle.
- Coat pumpkin cavity with Maple Syrup using a pastry brush. Place on a sheet pan and roast for 1-hour at 375°F.
- Baste pumpkin every 15-minutes.
- Remove pumpkin flesh from shell and place into a bowl.
- In a 5-quart soup pot melt 2-tablespoons butter, add bay leaves, Maui onion, carrots, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and Saute' 4-5 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup white wine and reduce by half.
- Add chicken stock, roasted pumpkin and slowly bring to a full boil stirring. Reduce to a simmer for 20-minutes uncovered.
- Wisk in cream, allspice, mace, pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, tabasco sauce and bring to a full boil for for 10-minutes. Stir to prevent from burning.
- Reduce to a simmer for 30-minutes and stir several times.
- Remove from heat, discard bay leaves and puree the bisque.
- Season Alaskan Scallops with old bay seasoning, cajun seasoning, cayeene pepper, salt and white pepper.
- Add butter to a hot saute pan and saute scallops 2-3 minutes; turning scallops only once. Remove and hold warm for service.
- Season bisque with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve bisque in hot bowls with Blackened Alaskan Sea Scallops.
- Garnish Pumpkin Bisque with Fresh Chopped Parsley.