Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 35 mins
If you like the flavor of Heinz 57 steak sauce, you will like this tasty stew.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 (12 ounce) jarsheinz au jus gravy
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
- 1⁄4 cup Heinz 57 steak sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 small onions, quartered
- 2 cups halved fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
- Brown meat on all sides in hot oil.
- Drain off any excess fat.
- Stir in gravy, tomatoes, 57 sauce, garlic, bay leaves, thyme and pepper.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover; simmer for 1 hour.
- Add carrots and onions; simmer 20 minutes more.
- Stir in mushrooms.
- Simmer 15 minutes more or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Remove bay leaf; discard.
- Season to taste.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
Like most recipes you read online...I added. Used half a bottle of H57 and threw in a touch of vino. And peppers...because. Also some corn starch at the end to give it some thickness. Nice taste, the family enjoyed it.