I have been making this delicious cake for my daughter Heidi's birthday for the past 28 years. It comes from Pillsbury's Chocolate Lovers Cookbook, that was published in 1983. We hope you like it as much as we do.
- 1 1⁄2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder
- 3⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 chocolate cake mix
- 3 1⁄2 ounces chocolate pudding
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder
- 1 -2 tablespoon half-and-half
- Heat the over to 350. Grease and flour three 9" round cake pans.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the crunch layer ingredients until crumbly.
- Firmly press 1/3 crunch mixture (about 1 cup) into each prepared pan.
- In the same bowl, place cake mix, pudding mix and water and blend.
- Add eggs, one at a time until well mixed.
- Add oil and finish mixing well.
- Pour into prepared cake pans, covering crunch layer completely.
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean.
- Coll cake for 10 minutes in the pans, then invert onto cooling racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl blend all frosting ingredients until smooth.
- Place one layer, crunch side up, on a serving plate and spread with 1/3 of the frosting.
- Repeat with the remaining layers and frosting.
- Garnish with chocolate curls, if desired.