1/5 Photos of Heidi's Fried Cheese Sandwich
My first culinary 'experience'. I must have been about 7, reading Heidi. This recipe was in the edition I was reading and I had to run to the kitchen and try it out immediately. Mom watched. Still fantastic! Expect something like a savoury-cheesey French Toast.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 slices bread, thick (preferably bakery, but sandwich bread will do if nothing else is available)
- enough swiss cheese, to make a thick filling (the real stuff, I suppose cheddar would be good too, but Heidi's grandfather always gave her gruyer)
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons milk or 3 tablespoons cream
- salt and pepper
- 1Butter the bread generously and layer the cheese between the two pieces.
- 2Beat the egg with the milk in a container large enough to contain the sandwich and season lightly (don't forget the cheese has salt too).
- 3Allow the sandwich to absorb the egg/milk mixture- turn over 1/2 way through so the other side absorbs some too.
- 4This should take about 10-15 minutes so as much of the custard is absorbed as possible.
- 5Drop a tablespoonful of butter into a skillet (cast iron is best), on medium heat.
- 6When it bubbles and smells very fragrant, add the sandwich and fry on both sides till a lovely dark-golden-brown and the cheese is all gooey and melted.
- 7Put it on your best plate, pour yourself a big glass of milk, get out a fork and knife and enjoy.
- 8Note: The texture of this is not like a regular grilled sandwich as the bread becomes moist and puffy because of the egg/milk soaking.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Heidi's Fried Cheese Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (254 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 233.7
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 192.4 mg
- Sodium 348.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 11.6 g