Recipe by bygonerecipes
This is my absolute FAVORITE soup. I am only allowed to make it once or twice a month because I will eat myself sick. I just cannot control myself. Be warned, not a low calorie recipe! www.bygonerecipes.blogspot.com
- 2 cups bacon, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 5 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 (32 ounce) box chicken broth
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups instant mashed potatoes (apx)
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- green onion, sliced
- sour cream
- cheddar cheese, shredded
- bacon, crumbles
Directions See How It's Made
- 1.Start the bacon pieces frying in a large pot over medium heat. Saute the onions, celery, carrots, and garlic with the bacon until the bacon is cooked through.
- 2.Stir in the potatoes and just cover with chicken broth, bring to a boil and then simmer until the potatoes are tender (apx 10 minutes). Add the cheese, stir until melted.
- 3.Pour cream and instant potatoes into the soup stirring constantly, until soup has thickened. Add more instant potatoes if it isn’t thick enough.
- 4.Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, green onions, and bacon crumbles on top.