Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
Chocolate Black walnut cake with a rum or milk glaze.
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped black walnuts or 1 1⁄2 cups english walnuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter, melted
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 tablespoons rum or 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder or 3⁄4 cup carob powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
Rum or Milk Glaze
- 1 1⁄3 cups sifted powdered sugar (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted (optional)
- 1 tablespoon rum or 1 tablespoon milk (optional)
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream or 1 tablespoon milk (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch square pan or a 10-inch fluted tube pan; set aside.
- In a small bowl stir together the nuts and 2 T flour, set aside.
- In a very large bowl stir granulated sugar, butter, and brown sugar until combined.
- Using a wooden spoon, beat in eggs one at a time.
- Stir in the 2 T rum or milk and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl stir together the flour, the chocolate or carob powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir flour mixture into egg mixture with a wooden spoon.
- Gradually stir in milk.
- Fold in the nut mixture.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 65 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan.
- Let stand for 1 hour.
- Drizzle with Glaze, if desired.
- Cool completely.
- To make Glaze: In a small bowl combine 1 1/3 C sifted powdered sugar; 2 T butter, melted; and 1 T rum or milk.
- Next, stir in 1 T whipping cream or milk.
- If necessary, add additional milk or cream, 1 t at a time, until it reaches drizzling consistency.