Recipe by hedgiehog
I made this for my children who claim to hate butternut and they devoured it! It's a nice variation on the traditional lasagna. The nutmeg complements the flavour of the butternut and makes for a sweetly savoury dish.
- olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 lb minced beef
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley, of 1/4 cup fresh
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and sliced thinly
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large, nonstick pan cook onion for a few minutes.
- add garlic, mince, salt & pepper; cook until mince is browned.
- Drain excess oil and transfer to a bowl.
- Clean out the pan and add butter, melt over medium heat.
- add in flour; whisk or stir for one minute.
- increase heat and slowly stir in milk cooking for 10 minutes.
- transfer to another bowl; add in parsley, nutmeg, sage and salt & pepper to taste.
- spread some sauce on bottom pf buttered baking dish.
- top with 3 noodles, sauce, mince and squash slices.
- repeat layering of sauce, mince, noodles and squash alternating noodles and squash slices and top with remaining sauce.
- sprinkle with shredded mozzarella and bake for 45 minutes; you may want to cover it with tin foil initially to keep it from burning.
- Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.