Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
A very hearty (and optionally spicy) tomato based vegetable soup. Originally received as a typed handout at a WW meeting - no trace of its source. The only change I made to it was to add pearl or pot barley. A big pot of this soup sits in my fridge when I feel the need to lose a few pounds. It is filling and virtually guilt free eating. Eat as much as you want! All vegetables and quantities are optional and any non-starchy veg would work. Tastes better when reheated.
- 1 (48 ounce) jar V8 vegetable juice
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 pieces cauliflower, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup yellow beans (I use frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup green beans (I use frozen)
- 3 pieces broccoli
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cabbage, diced
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, chopped (I use jar garlic)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper (fine)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 pot barley
- Start with the V8 juice.
- Add beef broth and canned tomatoes.
- Add remaining ingredients except zucchini.
- Bring to a boil and allow to simmer, covered (with steam hole) for 4-6 hours or until vegetables are as soft as you like them.
- Add zucchini for the last 30-60 minutes.
Yum! This is really flavorful soup & a great way to get your dose of veggies. I used a yellow bell pepper (on hand), 1 can green beans (drained), and 1/3 cup pearl barley. I also added 1 cup more beef broth as it looked like there was not much room for the barley to 'grow'. It came out perfect. DH especially loved the use of V8 as a base and the chili powder gives it a nice yet mild kick to the flavor. It's great that you just add everything in at once and simmer. Definitely a no fuss recipe. I have some leftover seasoned ground beef from Burrito Grande, Oven Baked that I'm planning on adding into the soup for tomorrow's lunch. Thanks for sharing this keeper recipe. Made for TYM tag game. :)